May 12, 2011

A Blunder at the Gas Station

On our way down to California last weekend, we had to stop a little bit more than usual to appease my aching legs and whining bladder. Our last stop before we arrived in Phelan was a gas station in Barstow. I used the ladies room, and then I remembered that I forgot to pack my hair brush. We grabbed one along with some snack I was craving and then stood in line to be rung up.

The man at the register seemed nice enough, but he wasn't very chatty with any of the other customers. He looked to be in his late 20's or early 30's, and he had a buzzed head and some tattoos. When we finally got up to the register, he asked "How long do you have left?" I was slightly puzzled by this question. I looked at Alec who looked equally puzzled. We both looked a little ragged since we had been in the car for close to 9 hours, so I thought that maybe he was asking how long we had left before we arrived at our destination. I answered, "About 45 minutes." The look on his face told me my answer was wrong. Then he asked "Do you know what you're having?" Then I understood and started laughing inside! He didn't seem like the type of person who would be interested in my pregnancy. I told him we were having a girl and he proceeded to talk about the 2 boys he has at home and how he always wanted a little girl.

We paid for my brush and snack and said goodbye as we walked out the door. As soon as we were outside, I burst into laughter! We talked about what the man must have been thinking when I answered his question with "About 45 minutes." Oh, ya know, we were just on our way to the hospital to deliver, but I forgot my hairbrush and needed a little snack!

I'm still not used to everyone being able to tell that I'm pregnant by looking at me. I better get used to it before I have another one of these blunders at some other gas station.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! That's hilarious!!! I need to see your belly again!! We miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete